Thursday, November 04, 2010

Things You Say To Your Vet...

My Dog Ate What?

Ever hear of a dog ingesting more than 20 tampons? Believe it. Dogs can literally eat everything from metal wire to carpet to batteries. A perfectly normal day can end in the emergency room, leaving owners scared of the outcome. But what is so remarkable is that some adorable four-legged animals are fortunate enough to survive and live normal, healthy doggy lives. My Dog Ate What? brings real-life stories of pooches — and other animals — eating the most unlikely objects, with insights from the veterinarians who help save their lives. Last season, we saw dogs eat thongs, cash and coat hangers. Now, a brand-new season brings a whole set of unimaginable treats that our cuddly friends can eat. My Dog Ate What? airs Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET/PT on National Geographic Channel.

My Dog Ate What?
Rat Poison, a Zipper, and Tennis Balls
Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 9 p.m. ET/PT

Siberian husky Kato downs a lethal dose of a human muscle relaxant and slips into a coma. Shockingly, mixed breed Monty and border collie Rita Mae are dual suspects when a half-eaten box of tampons is discovered. We’ll see Old English sheepdog Agnes eat decorative cranberry wire, which becomes a knotted mess inside her stomach! Then, 10-week-old Lulu undergoes surgery after swallowing a 5-inch rib bone, but is not coming out of the anesthesia. And Maxine the tuxedo cat ingests a sewing needle and thread. Nervous owners. Concerned vets. It’s a race against time as these pets fight to survive.

My Dog Ate What?
Batteries, a Rock, and Cereal Boxes

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 9 p.m. ET/PT

Golden retriever-Labrador mix Hoyt swallows a bottle cap that lodges in his stomach, prompting an emergency run to the clinic in rush-hour traffic. Ella Maurice is a smart collie who makes a terrible mistake when she swallows two AA batteries whole and needs surgery before the batteries have a chance to leak. Meanwhile, German shepherd Myla swallows a pincushion full of pins and needles, and an African spurred tortoise becomes sick after eating everything from seven screws to 42 pebbles. And, yellow Lab Frankenstein downs two boxes of cereal, including the boxes, proving what a monster he can really be. Join us as these household pets and owners realize something is seriously wrong.

BeansTalk Note: Monty, the English Cocker seen in today's post (25 June 1995 to 13 January 2009) once went through a Fourth of July garbage bag and ate corn cobs. That Thanksgiving, he threw up three large coal-colored items, that on closer inspection, proved to be the aforementioned corn cobs. True story.