Friday, June 28, 2013

Find Your InnerDosha


BeansTalk Reviews
Veria ID InnerDosha









by Colleen "CoCo" Malone
BeansTalk Biz Contributing Editor




First, a little bit of info about what a dosha is, for those that don’t yet know. It’s from Ayurveda, an ancient system of medicine, thousands of years old, which originated in India. A person’s dosha is determined by evaluating aspects their physical body and mental makeup, such as response to stress, your learning and memory ability, dream retention, and a host of other details. An Ayurvedic practitioner would evaluate their patient, determine their dominant dosha (most people are a combination of more than one), and aim to assist the person achieve balance in their body and mind. This is a very simplified explanation of this venerated and complex way of approaching optimal health and well-being.

I had heard of Ayurvedic medicine many years ago, was interested in it and had read a bit about it. I was aware of doshas and knew my dominant one to be Kapha, though like many, perhaps even most, people, I am nearly equally two doshas.

To determine your dosha or combination of doshas, you can use any number of questionnaires available online. Here’s a link to one:
http://www.whatsyourdosha.com

One absolutely does not need to establish their dosha to know which of these appealing products to use; the packaging clearly describes what type of skin or hair the contents are best for. But if you want to take VeriaID’s mostly skin and hair specific quiz to know which ones will be best for you, the link to that is:
http://www.veria.com/products/find-your-dosha/

I was very happy to learn of and try Veria ID shampoo, conditioner, and gel cleanser because I am always looking for skin and hair care products that are made of botanicals and other natural ingredients, which I find are gentle on my skin and hair. Also I prefer to use washes, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions that are free of parabens. The Veria ID line is free of them, as well as free of harsh sulfates and synthetic fragrances, which bother a lot of people. The choice to use or avoid parabens is a controversial issue. There is a lot of information and there are a lot of opinions available and unfortunately much of them are conflicting. Personally, I found the arguments against to be compelling and decided to avoid them a few years ago.

And finally, I love that this company is striving to use recycled content in their packaging and mostly wind renewable energy for producing their labels and cartons.


My results ~

Product:  For oily skin, born to shine, KAPHA dosha, Start Fresher Gel Cleanser

It’s called a gel, but it has a very nice, smooth consistency. I used a small amount of the cleanser on a wet cloth, and it lathered up nicely. After rinsing and drying my face, I was aware of how good my skin felt, soft and clean. The light citrus scent stayed with me in a good way. I felt tempted to use it as a body wash, just to have that feeling all over.


Product:  For hair that’s oily by nature, KAPHA dosha, Oil Embargo Clarifying Shampoo

I have always had oily hair, and used to find it necessary wash it every other day or even daily. At over age fifty am finally able to wash my hair every three or four days. I was hoping this shampoo would help me last four days and it did not disappoint.

I’m in LOVE with the scent! It’s citrusy, light, and refreshing. It’s a wonderfully sudsy and foamy shampoo, was easily distributed throughout my hair and scalp. Very cleansing and it definitely does the job as a clarifier. All that said, my scalp did not feel overly dry -- even directly after washing. A younger person used to washing their hair frequently will not find this harsh in the least. It’s a lovely, gentle shampoo that cleans your hair and scalp beautifully.


Product:  For hair seeking volume, PITTA dosha, Live Fully Conditioner

Even though not my predominant dosha, I want volume, so I gave it a try. I don’t blow-dry or style my hair, so waited until it was completely dry to review. My hair had lots of shape and volume and I was curious to see if that would last a day or two.

The Pitta line of these products has a gentle jasmine scent, very pleasant and pretty. The conditioner itself has a nice, silky consistency. It readily distributed throughout my hair and rinsed well, leaving it moisturized and detangled, but still feeling clean.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to note that the day after washing, my hair still had body and felt soft, silky and not at all limp. I was very pleased! Usually my hair starts going a bit slack the second day.
Two days after washing, my hair still felt clean, so obviously there's nothing in the conditioner to build up body that is going to be attracting dirt. And it still had shape and looked great. I can easily go another day and not feel bad about how my hair looks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I highly recommend the Veria ID hair and skin care line and look forward to watching this company grow.



Dosha definition:

dosha |ˈdō sh ə|,
noun
(in Ayurvedic medicine) each of three energies believed to circulate in the body and govern physiological activity.
ORIGIN Sanskrit doṣa, literally ‘fault, disease.’
Energy type, Constitution

Dosha quiz  http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/yoga-international-magazine/dosha-quiz/

http://www.whatsyourdosha.com/

http://www.ayurvedichealthcenter.com/?id=dosha-quiz

http://www.ayur.com/about.html

Veria website:  http://www.veria.com/
products: VeriaID.com for store


From company ~
Veria ID InnerDosha is a full range of natural skin, hair and body products designed to treat specific hair and skin types as defined by Ayurveda’s doshas: VATA (dry), PITTA (sensitive, combination) and KAPHA (oily). 

The 11 products available for each hair/skin type are:
SKIN - Cleanser, Toner, Serum, Day Moisturizer, Night Moisturizer and Mask
HAIR – Shampoo and Conditioner
BODY – Body Wash, Body Lotion and Body Butter
FOR ALL TYPES – 5 products recommended for all skin/hair types:
Deep Conditioner, Detangler, Eye Gel, Eye Cream and Face Scrub