Thursday, June 12, 2008
Best Foods From Nutritionist Oz Garcia
Warmer weather is here but don’t look to the latest skin creams and cosmetic procedures to give your skin a natural glow; nutrition counselor Oz Garcia teaches that good nutrition is the fundamental step in keeping skin glowing and healthy. (Two of the top foods, blueberries and Brazil nuts are featured in the image above). Here are his suggestions for the seven best foods to keep skin looking flawless all summer long:
· Jump on the pomegranate bandwagon. Pomegranates are loaded with vitamins and nutrients, including polyphenols, a very potent type of antioxidant which is known to boost collagen, improve skin tone and diminish cellulite.
· Cook up the egg whites. Egg whites are a strong source of zinc, an essential mineral that keeps the skin firm and youthful.
· Grab a handful of Brazil nuts. Brazil nuts are rich in selenium, which helps to improve the elasticity of the skin, and helps strengthen hair and nails. Brazil nuts also contain zinc, which aid in treating acne, eczema and psoriasis. The nut also contains fatty acids that help prevent dryness.
· Snack on wrinkle-busting blueberries. Blueberries are loaded with antioxidants, and prevent cell-structure damage that can lead to wrinkles and loss of skin tone.
· Stock up on pro-biotic yogurt. The probiotic bacteria in yogurt are very important for healthy skin because it improves your immune system and kills bacteria that cause acne and other skin problems.
· Don't forget your leafy greens. Deeply hued vegetables benefit your skin with a wide range of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Spinach and kale are loaded with beta-carotene and lutein, two nutrients that aid in improving skin elasticity and firmness.
· All important Omega-3 Oils. Healthy fats can be your skin's best friend. Omega-3 fatty acids help maintain cell membranes so that they are effective barriers-allowing water and nutrients into the skin, and keeping toxins out. Omega-3's also may also protect skin against sun damage, and can reduce inflammation in the body (inflammation can trigger the cells to clog pores).
Posted by News 24/5 at 10:48 PM