Thursday, January 11, 2007


BeansTalk Talks…To:
Actor Justin Chon


BeansTalk is all about supporting the up and comers. The first young actor we’re promoting is Justin Chon, who stars on the new Nickelodeon series Just Jordan. He’s only been acting two years. Disney Channel fans may recognize him from his co-starring role in Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior. The new series premiered Sunday night. Chon also just finished a starring role opposite Sean William Scott and Randy Quaid in the feature film Gary the Tennis Coach and he will be seen in the upcoming horror-comedy film Hack

Justin Chon answered some not-so-probing questions conducted by BeansTalk's Managing Editor.

BeansTalk: Tell us about your character on Just Jordan.

Justin Chon: My character on Just Jordan is Tony Park. He is the best friend of Jordan. What I love about this role is that it isn't a stereotypical role per se. He does have strict parents and is
a diligent hard working teenager. However, he's not a dork. He's actually a cool kid. The kids at school want to be his friend. He's also the star basketball player for his high school. I really commend Nickelodeon for stepping out of the box and taking a chance on a character like Tony.


BeansTalk: How did you get into acting?

Justin Chon: Well, my father was an actor in South Korea from when he was 10 to 25. My mother's parents didn't approve of him acting so he quit, married my mother and moved to the US. Growing up I used to watch his black and white movies and always had an interest in acting. But being an Asian in the US, I always thought it was impossible for me to pursue the same occupation. I started attending USC for business and decided I would try out a few acting classes with a friend. I fell in love with the craft and decided to enroll in a two-year Meisner program. Upon graduating the program I slowly started to audition and found that it was a doable feat. I'm so glad i took a chance, otherwise I'd probably be a financial consultant or something.

BeansTalk: Do you think it's a challenge for Asian Americans to break into Hollywood?

Justin Chon: It is definitely a challenge for Asian Americans to break into the
entertainment industry. There are many reasons for this. First off, there aren't many Asian Americans on tv presently. So demographically we're not getting the proper exposure. Because of this the demand for Asian Americans actors has stayed low. Also, the common stigma for an Asian Americans in entertainment up to this point has been action martial art stars. This is slowly starting to change, but there is still a huge disparity compared with other minorities who star in dramas. Another huge reason it is hard for Asian Americans to break into entertainment is writers are not conscious of Asian Americans. Therefore they tend to write
stereotypical roles for them such as doctors, lawyers, business execs, immigrants, and store owners. Because of all these factors many Asian-Americans children don’t see it as a possible career and tend to take on more stable types of jobs.

BeansTalk: if you weren't acting what would you be doing?

Justin Chon: If I wasn't acting I would probably be holding some sort of job in the financial sector. But if I blew my lid, I think I might have possibly quit and become a beach bum.

BeansTalk: Who is your role model?

Justin Chon: My role model is definitely my dad. Its a very typical thing to say but I really admire him not just because he's my dad but because he is a great, hard-working person. He left an established life in South Korea so he could marry my mom and start a new life in a completely foreign country. he started a business at the swap meet and has managed to grow it into an empire. To accomplish this he worked 7 days a week for 10 years. Throughout all the hardships he has managed to still be a light hearted loving person.I don't know how he manages to do this.

BeansTalk: What’s a dream day for you?

Justin Chon: A dream day for me would probably begin by having gotten a good 10 hour of sleep. I would get up and eat some pasta and sit on the couch for a few hours watching some indie films.Then I would probably meet up some friends and go to favorite stores, pants each other, and act crazy. We'd then go chill at the beach and watch the sunset and see the little dolphins swimming in the ocean. We'd talk about life, and how we need a girlfriend. Then we'd leave because we'd see like 10 couples sitting around us and I would turn to my friends and say "I love you guys man." After that we'd go to one of our favorite restaurants and eat some good dinner. During dinner we would talk and laugh obnoxiously loud. After dinner we'd watch a movie that my friends pick. My friends hate the movies I pick. After the movie wed go back to the beach start a bonfire and chill out, talk some more, and play the guitar. Then I’d go home and pass out with sand in my hair.

BeansTalk: What’s your dream role?

Justin Chon: A dream role for me would be in an Indie film like paul dano's in little miss sunshine. I would love to work on a movie which has a limited budget but has a director who has a clear unique vision which pushes boundaries. I feel these type of movies attract actors who have huge talents but don't have uncontrollable egos and are willing to sacrifice their paychecks for the love of acting.

BeansTalk: What advice do you have for aspiring actors?

Justin Chon: The best advice I would give for aspiring actors is to learn how to act. Be commited to the craft and don't get side tracked. If you stick with it long enough, the rest will work itself out.