Friday, October 24, 2008



How To Get Made Up Right
We Get Tips From a Pro
BeansTalk gets the makeup scoop from Dimitri James. Dimitri is a licensed cosmetologist, make-up artist & educator and is the Founder of SKINN Dimitri James Cosmetics. www.skinn.com

Q. How long have you been in the industry?



A. Officially 24 years.



Q. Which facet of your career is the most exciting at the moment?



A. Opening television shopping networks all over the world. I am also super excited about my book “Becoming Beauty” which is scheduled to be released in early 2009.



Q. What’s the skinny on your upcoming book?



A. I took 24 years of knowledge and experience in making women over and reduced it to basic steps any woman can take to completely repackage herself from head to toe.



Q. Will the book feature the celebrities you work with?



A. There will be quotes from many celebrities in the book, however the book is designed for every woman, from soccer mom to CEO not just a celebrity glamour make over.



Q. What is the most challenging aspect of your job?



A. Keeping the cost of my products, which are the highest possible quality, affordable for every day people. Because I believe if products aren’t affordable they are useless.



Q. What do you love about your job?



A. I love the opportunity to show and help women look beautiful and polish their appearance from head to toe. The thanks that I receive and the letters I get stating how I have helped change lives are priceless.



Q. Do you have a favorite feature to work on?



A. I love it all, I especially love challenges with bad hair, because it’s fun to use chemistry and color theory and make something fabulous out of something not so pretty. That said, I love making dramatic eyes!



Q. What's the question you get asked most often by women?



A. Do I need surgery? And what can I do about these lines around my lips.



Q. Which one is you’re go-to, can’t-live-without, you’d absolutely die if you didn’t have it product?



A. Orchid Gel original and tinted. It makes any skin look air brushed to perfection, male or female, and it is invisible.



Q. If a woman is going to invest in three makeup brushes, which do you feel are the most important to own?



A. Powder Brush, Blush Brush, and Large Shadow Brush.



Q. What is your most favorite makeup trick that you like to do?



A. Contour with my Professional Highlight, Contour, Blush and Bronze Kit, I can completely recreate a face with just this one kit. I can eliminate or accentuate any feature using this kit.



Q. What’s your favorite SKINN product to use on yourself?



A. DermAppeal, it makes skin look pore free and flawless just by scrubbing with it three times a week.



Q. Lipstick vs. Gloss?



A. That’s a hard call, I miss the 80’s when we used both and didn’t have to choose. Gloss is perfect for an everyday face and for before 5pm. Lipstick is perfect for a dressier face and for after 5pm. Women with lip-lines do better with lighter shades of lipstick that give a gloss look.