Thursday, August 18, 2005


From Rox Minneapolis

Gorgeous…and Surprisingly Affordable

Robyne Robinson not only has the distinction of being the first African-American to anchor a local prime-time newscast, she is the first black to become senior anchor at a news organization in the Minneapolis market.

Acclaimed as one of the Twin Cities’ top broadcasters, her numerous awards include an Emmy and honors from both the Minnesota Broadcasters’ Association and the Associated Press for “Talk With Robyne”, a series of one-on-one interview with nationally and internationally known Twin Cities celebrities from businesswoman Marilyn Carlson Nelson to Prince.

“I started making jewelry when I was about 12 or 13,” says Robinson, creator and designer of Rox Minneapolis. Her designs range from $30 to $100. “But I didn’t know it was because my mom didn’t have enough money for lots of Christmas presents. I just thought it was fun, looking at all the beautiful beads and making my own designs.”

It wasn’t until a new beau came along three decades later that her creative spark was re-ignited for creating necklaces, bracelets and earrings. “My boyfriend’s authentic Greek – he carries his komboloys (worry beads) everywhere. They were gorgeous – some were coral, or made of bone. I told him if I really tried, I could make them. Next thing I know, his friends and family all wanted them.”

Soon, the passion for making jewelry exploded – the Minneapolis news anchor and former art gallery owner found herself heading a new business called Rox. “I love natural stones – semi-precious pieces of amber, carnelian – it seemed only natural to call my line of jewelry exactly what it is – breathtaking rocks.”

Today, the Rox line of jewelry sells in stores throughout the Minneapolis area, as well as in other cities such as Chicago, New York and Athens, Greece. It’s also displayed at the Walker Art Center, the internationally-known contemporary art museum based in Minneapolis.

“I’m so excited everyone loves Rox,” says Robinson. “From 20 to 50-year-old, men and women – there’s always something for everyone. I believe in jewelry that becomes a sensory experience, the look, the texture – and the sound. A lush sound that grabs your attention. That’s what Rox is all about.” www.roxmpls.com Posted by Picasa