Tuesday, July 10, 2007






British Invasion



Victoria Beckham tells Matt Lauer that she and her husband David Beckham “love the American attitude” and they “can’t wait” to move to the states.

NBC News' Matt Lauer sits down with Victoria Beckham to talk about her marriage to soccer superstar David Beckham, their children, and their upcoming move to Los Angeles. The singer/author/fashion designer famously known as Posh Spice, also talks to Lauer about the paparazzi, and her and her husband's friendship with Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. The interview will air Thursday, July 12 on "Today" (7 a.m. ET).


Following are excerpts from the NBC News' "Today" interview airing Thursday, July 12.

Victoria Beckham on her family’s move to the United States:

Beckham: We've always really liked America. You know, we like American people. We love the American attitude. So, this is a fantastic opportunity.
Lauer: Is there anything about it that worries you?

Beckham: There's always going to be concerns. Any parent would have concerns wherever you're moving to. But, this is exciting. We always see the glass as half full as opposed to half empty and we just can't wait.

Victoria Beckham on her and David’s friendship with Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes:

Lauer: Much has been made of your friendship with Katie Holmes. What attracted you two in the first place?

Beckham: She's a very strong, sweet, lovely girl. She's helped me so much with the move. She's genuinely a nice girl. People often try and get me to say the - you know, there's been so much made of the Scientology, the this, the that. They are genuinely lovely people. Wonderful family.

Lauer: So, it never even comes up with you?

Beckham: No.

Lauer: When you guys are socializing, Scientology is not an issue.

Beckham: No.

Lauer: It's just a friendship.

Beckham: Yeah, I mean, they do their thing. We do our thing. They are a wonderful family.

Victoria Beckham on the distinctive poses she gives to the paparazzi:

Lauer: I've seen a lot of photographs of you and I think, I wonder if she's in a good mood.

Beckham: Yeah. I know. I think that-- too.

Lauer: And they're giggling in-- the background.

Beckham: Does everyone think that?

Lauer: Yeah. (LAUGHTER)

Beckham: I mean, c'mon. You can be honest with me.

Lauer: Well, you know--

Beckham: You can be honest.

Lauer: Sometimes you look-- maybe it's because you're hounded by the paparazzi. I don't know. But, sometimes you do look like a little bit like, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Beckham: It's always about the outfit. (LAUGHTER) You know? Yeah, I think that, you know, at the end of the day there's always a lot of press around. They select the pictures they want. They make you to look the way they want you to look.

Lauer: So, you're telling me--
Beckham: You know?

Lauer: --there are just as many pictures of you glowing and being happy as with that kind of tough look on your face.

Beckham: You know, it's an image. I think there are some people that would be quite devastated should I actually (LAUGHTER) smile or look pleasant for that fact.