Thursday, July 28, 2005


Liz Phair

Liz Phair's Somebody's Miracle
Scheduled For October 4th Release

Liz Phair has a simple credo. "As an artist, there's nothing worse than getting a ho-hum reaction," she says. That's not likely to be a problem with her new album, Somebody's Miracle, which will be released on October 4, 2005 by Capitol Records. It's a bold, ambitious collection of songs that embraces elements of her previous work and more. Pop and indie, frank and witty, playful and serious, Phair takes everything she's done before and pushes farther.

Somebody's Miracle poetically traces an emotional journey through a sweeping thematic arc. "It starts off with my turmoils in life, then hits a stride with the upbeat life songs, then dips down with some harder stuff and comes out winning in the end," says Phair, noting that finding the exact combination and order of songs was a struggle in and of itself. The flow had to be perfect, not just in the lyrics, but in the music. And that was a tough job, as this album covers so much musical ground. "People get very uptight about staying in a certain genre or not breaking out of your expected style," she says. "If I like indie-rock, I can't like pop. Or if I'm a pop person, I have no credibility in rock. But for me, I just decided to go farther and take my aesthetic stand stronger. I like demos and I like high pop production and I like straight American rock and I like jazzy, minor trippy chords. I like it all."

Phair wrote eleven of the songs herself. She co-wrote the remaining three with (Sheryl Crow, Santana), who produced the album with John ShanksJohn Alagia (Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer). The first single will be "Everything To Me."

Throughout her acclaimed career, Phair's elicited strong reactions for her work. With her brash 1993 debut, Exile in Guyville, she took on one of the most cherished albums of all time, the Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street, writing answer songs to each of the tracks from a female point of view - with notorious frankness that made her an instant indie icon. On 1994's Whipsmart she challenged her own status by moving into the major-label world. After a break, she returned with 1998's Whitechocolatespaceegg married and with a young child, injecting an adult orientation and distancing herself from her earlier works. And with 2003's Liz Phair, she truly polarized fans and critics alike by injecting mature wit into gloriously frothy pop settings, and vice versa - and scored her biggest radio hit with the Gold single "Why Can't I."

"My public persona has sort of been in a time warp. I think my image was branded in the public minds when I was angry and defiant and 25," she says. "I will always be a boundary pusher. It's what I do. But I'm hopeful and anyone who knows me personally knows I'm just a little kid. And I don't think that came across in my music before."

Phair is currently on an eight-city, sold-out acoustic tour that will include two nights at Joe's Pub in New York (August 1st and 2nd) and three nights at Los Angeles' legendary Troubadour (August 10th, 11th and 12th).

Track listing for Somebody's Miracle:

Leap Of Innocence

Wind In The Mountain

Stars And Planets

Somebody's Miracle

Got My Own Thing

Count On My Love

Lazy Dreamer

Everything To Me

Can't Get Out Of What I'm Into

Table For One

Why I Lie

Lost Tonight

Everything (Between Us)

Giving It All To You

Posted by Picasa