Capitol Records will commemorate the 65th anniversary of John Lennon's birth with the
Born in Liverpool, England on October 9, 1940 and assassinated in New York City just over forty years later (December 8, 1980), Lennon rendered a vision of life that was simultaneously reflective, utopian and poignantly realistic. Reflecting his social activism ("Give Peace A Chance," "Power To The People," "Gimme Some Truth," "Woman Is The Nigger Of The World"), idealism ("Imagine," "Mind Games," "Instant Karma!"), his hedonistic "lost weekend," as he called the 18 months he spent separated from Yoko Ono in the early 1970's ("Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out," "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night," the rollicking duet with Elton John that gave him his first #1 single as a solo artist), and the happiness he found in later years as a self-described "househusband," ("(Just Like) Starting Over," "Watching The Wheels," "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"), Working Class Hero - The Definitive Lennon captures him in all his complexity.
Mastered from the most up-to-date sources, the collection includes material from John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970), Imagine (1971), Sometime In New York City (1972), Mind Games (1973), Walls and Bridges (1974), Rock 'N' Roll (1975), Double Fantasy (1980), Live In New York City (recorded in 1972, but not released until 1986) as well as numerous singles and tracks from Milk and Honey (1984) and Anthology (1998), the posthumous collections of Lennon's unreleased recordings.
Working Class Hero - The Definitive Lennon
1. (Just Like) Starting Over Double Fantasy
2. Imagine Imagine
3. Watching The Wheels Double Fantasy
4. Jealous Guy Imagine
5. Instant Karma! Single
6. Stand By Me Rock 'N' Roll
7. Working Class Hero John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
8. Power To The People Single (but included on John Lennon)
9. Oh My Love Imagine
10. Oh Yoko Imagine
11. Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out Walls And Bridges
12. Nobody Told Me Milk And Honey
13. Bless You Walls And Bridges
14. Come Together (Live) Live In
16. I'm Stepping Out Milk And Honey
17. You Are Here Mind Games
18. Borrowed Time Milk And Honey
19. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) Single (DVD Mix)
1. Woman Double Fantasy
2. Mind Games Mind Games
3. Out Of The Blue Mind Games
4. Whatever Gets You Thru The Night Walls And Bridges
5. Love John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
6. Mother John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
7. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) Double Fantasy
8. Woman Is The Nigger Of The World Sometime In
9. God John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
10. Scared Walls And Bridges
11. #9 Dream Walls And Bridges
12. I'm Losing You (Anthology Version) Anthology
13. Isolation John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
14. Cold Turkey Single
15. Intuition Mind Games
16. Gimme Some Truth Imagine
17. Give Peace A Chance Single
18. Real Love Anthology
19. Grow Old With Me Anthology
From Yoko Ono:
"Everyone has been asking me recently if this year will be extra special for me since it's John's 65th birthday year and the 25th anniversary of that awful day. There isn't a day that goes by when I don't think about John. But still, it is very special for me too to think of John at 65, and to think what he would be doing if he was here now.
I can immediately see that he would be very, very angry at what's going on in the world today. Oh, yes. Violence, accelerated corporate manipulations and lies. He wanted the world to be a beautiful place for all of us. But it seems we have a long way to go yet for that.
Once he was honored as "The Man Of The Decade". That was 35 years ago. Now he is a man of the century and the future. His work inspires all people, and his voice reaches the whole planet.
I miss him a lot. We all miss him. His songs are now our songs, our love, and our life.
John made some great songs with beautiful music and daring words. He laid his life on the line to speak out the truth for all of us.
Enjoy this incredible selection of songs of wisdom and power, and know that John is now in the heart of each of us, helping to heal ourselves and our planet.
I love you, John. You are the one and only. Yoko"